|Although our feeding programme forms the backbone of the FEED SA programme, we are also very much committed to helping to educate the underprivileged.The South African education system has been through significant changes since 1994 and most of these changes, such as Outcome Based Education, have emphasised two critical points: access to education and pragmatism & learning useful things. However, many children through their underprivileged circumstances will never experience the things they learn about, and without hands-on experience and the means with which to learn, learning is superficial.
|Children need to be educated on the basics of life skills and love from an early age. In this field, FEED SA is passionate about the setup of crèches in the townships, affording those kids the privilege of learning what kids at their age should be learning. This includes age-appropriate curriculum, as well as creating an environment whereby life skills and social interactions are put into practice.DEVELOPMENT AND INFRASTRUCTURE OF EXISTING CRECHES
- FEED SA identifies these already existing crèches within the informal settlements with the help of leaders and prominent figures in the area.
- The children’s ages range from 10 months to 6 years.
- Each crèche is personally visited and researched by the Co-Executive Directors of FEED SA, as well as qualified school teachers from Private schools.
- Enquires are made as to which teachers have any form of qualifications or training, and for those that wish to be guided further.
- Assistance in the form of training, including age appropriate curriculums, health and hygiene, activities for fine and gross motor skills, cognitive development, fantasy play and creative play is then offered and taught to the teachers/care givers.
- Each crèche needs help with the infrastructure, including leaks, outside areas that need upgrading and renovations allowing the children an outside area on which to play or ride.
- FEED SA offers sustainability and accountability for the running and organizing of each crèches needs.
- Supplies will be needed for the crèche on a quarterly basis, ensuring that it has enough supplies to offer the children – including health care and first aid kits.
- FEED SA would like to offer the teachers a salary, thereby alleviating their pressure and responsibility of having to spend the little they receive, on supplies and food for the crèche.
- MONTHLY REPORTS ON PROGRESS OF THE CRECHES, AS WELL AS PHOTOS WILL BE FURNISHED TO THE SPONSORS.
- SPONSORS ARE WELCOME TO VISIT THESE CRECHES ALLOWING THEM TO SEE WHERE THE DONATIONS ARE GOING AND HOW THEY ARE UTILISED.